Building and maintaining a strong online presence plays a significant role in the success of a business. BigCommerce is a powerful e-commerce platform that provides numerous features to help you create and manage your online store. However, simply having a store is not enough. To drive organic traffic and increase your store’s visibility, it’s crucial to optimise your BigCommerce store for search engine optimisation (SEO).
In this article, we’ll guide you through the essential steps to optimise your BigCommerce store for SEO, ensuring that your products and brand get the attention they deserve.
Tips to Optimise Your BigCommerce Store for SEO
- Conduct Keyword Research: The fundamental aspect of any successful SEO strategy is keyword research. Start by identifying the keywords and phrases that are relevant to your products and target audience. There are several tools such as Google Keyword Planner or SEMrush to help you discover high-volume and low-competition keywords. Incorporate these keywords naturally throughout your store’s content to improve its visibility in search engine results.
- Optimise Your Store’s Structure: A well-organised store structure is essential for both user experience and SEO. Categorise your products into relevant categories and subcategories. Ensure that your navigation is user-friendly and intuitive, allowing visitors to easily find what they’re looking for. A clear and organised store structure makes it easier for search engines to crawl and index your pages.
- Create Unique and Compelling Product Descriptions: When it comes to product descriptions, avoid using manufacturer-provided content. Instead, write unique and compelling descriptions that highlight the key features and benefits of your products. Incorporate relevant keywords naturally but prioritise creating content that engages and informs your potential customers. Unique and well-crafted product descriptions not only help with SEO but also improve the overall user experience.
- Optimise Page Titles and Meta Descriptions: Page titles and meta descriptions are the first elements that users see in search engine results. Craft concise and descriptive page titles that accurately represent the content of each page. Include relevant keywords within the titles to improve their visibility. Additionally, write compelling meta descriptions that entice users to click through to your store. Although meta descriptions don’t directly impact SEO rankings, they can significantly influence click-through rates.
- Utilise SEO-Friendly URLs: Optimise your store’s URLs by ensuring they are clean, descriptive, and contain relevant keywords. Long strings of numbers or random characters in URLs are a big No! Instead, include meaningful words that accurately describe the content of each page. SEO-friendly URLs not only improve your store’s visibility in search results but also make it easier for users to remember and share your product pages.
- Generate High-Quality Backlinks: Backlinks from authoritative and relevant websites are a powerful signal to search engines that your store is trustworthy and valuable. Focus on building high-quality backlinks by engaging in outreach activities, guest blogging, and participating in industry forums or communities. By generating backlinks from reputable sources, you can boost your store’s SEO authority and increase its chances of ranking higher in search engine results.
- Improve Site Speed and Performance: Site speed and performance have a direct impact on user experience and SEO. Optimise your BigCommerce store by compressing images, leveraging browser caching, and minimising the use of external scripts. Additionally, choose a reliable hosting provider that can handle your store’s traffic demands. A fast-loading store not only enhances user satisfaction but also signals to search engines that your site provides a positive user experience.
- Leverage Social Media Integration: Social media platforms can serve as valuable channels to drive traffic and increase brand visibility. Integrate social media sharing buttons on your product pages, allowing users to easily share your products with their networks. Encourage user-generated content and engage with your audience on social media platforms. The more your products are shared and discussed on social media, the more visibility and organic traffic your BigCommerce store can receive.
- Mobile Optimisation: With the increasing use of mobile devices for online shopping, it’s crucial to optimise your BigCommerce store for mobile users. Choose a responsive BigCommerce theme that automatically adjusts the layout and design of your store to fit different screen sizes. Ensure that your product images and descriptions are optimised for mobile viewing. A mobile-friendly store not only improves the user experience but also boosts your store’s SEO rankings, as search engines prioritise mobile-friendly websites.
- Utilise Schema Markup: Schema markup is a code added to your website that helps search engines understand the content and context of your pages. By implementing schema markup on your BigCommerce store, you can enhance the visibility and presentation of your products in search engine results. Schema markup enables search engines to display rich snippets, such as product ratings, prices, and availability, which can attract more clicks from potential customers.
- Regularly Update and Refresh Content: Stagnant content can harm your store’s SEO performance. Regularly update and refresh your store’s content, including product descriptions, blog posts, and category pages. Add new products, create informative blog articles, and remove outdated information. By consistently providing fresh and relevant content, you signal to search engines that your store is active and provides up-to-date information to users.
- Monitor Analytics and Adjust Strategies: To effectively optimise your BigCommerce store for SEO, it’s essential to monitor your website analytics regularly. Utilise tools like Google Analytics to track your website’s performance, including traffic sources, user behaviour, and conversion rates. Analyse the data and adjust your SEO strategies accordingly. Identify areas of improvement, such as pages with high bounce rates or low conversion rates and make data-driven decisions to optimise your store further.
- Encourage Customer Reviews: Customer reviews play a significant role in building trust and credibility for your BigCommerce store. Actively encourage your customers to leave reviews and ratings for the products they purchase. Display these reviews prominently on your product pages to provide social proof and assist other potential customers in making informed decisions. Positive customer reviews not only improve your store’s reputation but also contribute to better SEO rankings.
Optimising your BigCommerce store for SEO is an ongoing process that requires dedication and attention to detail. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can improve your store’s visibility, attract more organic traffic, and increase your chances of making sales. With the right SEO optimisation techniques, your BigCommerce store can thrive in the competitive online marketplace.
If you are looking for the top BigCommerce SEO agencies in Australia, 18th DigiTech is your go-to option. Our experts have transformed hundreds of eCommerce concepts into profitable, reliable and easily accessible global brands.
For more insights on the services we offer. contact our BigCommerce SEO experts today!